Pages

Monday 2 April 2012

There's no getting round it, you just have to do it...

Whirlsie's Week 7 blogger challenge is about how people often lose a bit of enthusiasm and momentum after several weeks of going really well with changing their eating and exercise patterns. 

In order to get over this little slump - or as I prefer to think of it, this slight wilt, which I certainly admit to experiencing - it might help to look back at why we joined the 12wbt in the first place.  Or to focus on what has been achieved so far. 

I joined because I was fat, very fat as it turns out (bit of denial was going on, let me tell you).  I had not had any glimmer of hope that I could redress this from any other weight loss thingy I had tried.  I used evey excuse in the book for why I couldn't lose weight and for why keeping my snout firmly in the metaphoric Milo trough was a good idea. 

Ridiculous, I know, but there it is.

So far I have lost nearly 8 kilos, and lost quite a few cm from all over my body.  Clothes fit better, some are even loose. 

But the best thing is I am so much stronger physically and mentally.  I feel fitter, but I also have more self control.  For example, a lot of my cardio sessions involve a while on a steep gradient on the treadmill.  My mind will say things such as 'let's just stop, we don't really need to do this today, you're tired, let's just take it easy'.  (I've spoken about my unhelpful mind before).   But I just say 'no mind, this is good for you/me/us.  Pipe down', and I get on with it.  Usually.

So my little tips for those struggling a bit - and it is all of us at some stage or other - are:
  • ask yourself if you would still like to be as you were when you started making these changes?
  • focus on the positives by looking at what you have already achieved and know you can achieve more.
  • and make your peace with the concept that if you want to lose the weight and get fit, you actually have to eat well and do the exercise.  It's that simple.  If you want the results, you have to actually, properly, deliberately and consistently do what it takes to achieve these goals.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure I've said this before, but I LOVE YOUR WRITING!!! That third point is pure gold. Make peace with it...I'd never thought of it that way before. But it really is THAT simple, eh?

    I'll be keeping my fingers, toes and anything else I've got crossed for big font tomorrow xx

    ReplyDelete